热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
楼主: Shirley

Big-O OST,CD评论/注释翻译:

[复制链接]
发表于 2004-2-1 21:40:54 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
 楼主| 发表于 2004-2-1 21:42:07 | 显示全部楼层
29 tracks, 45:18
—by Charles McCarter
Every couple of years, it seems like there's an anime score that comes along and makes people sit up and take notice of how music can really help make a difference in a show. MACROSS PLUS. ESCAFLOWNE. GIANT ROBO. These are some of the series that have really stellar musical scores that sound more in line with something you would expect out of a Hollywood studio than an animation program.
THE BIG O ORIGINAL SOUND SCORE is one of those soundtracks. Clearly going for style, Sunrise opted to create a score that would match the look and feel of this show, which has been described as "GIANT ROBO meets BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES." And how does one create a big-sounding score? Why, with a full orchestra of course.
The first track sounds like something from a Mozart symphony, complete with angry horns and stirring strings. Even right down to its very classical ending. It's a good start to the CD, and the pace continues unabated throughout the disc. Some of the tracks become a little bit more free however, and echo the blues and jazz pieces of another musical period. "Servant" is a bluesy piece with a bit of funk thrown in, courtesy of the electric guitar. Then there's the track called "Apologize," a slow piano blues that evokes a feeling of long-lost memories and drowning one's sorrows.
Many of these pieces are great unto themselves. Much like the works of Kanno Yoko, they can be listened to over and over again. I do get a little tired of the extensive use of low brass for tension, but that's just me. The tracks are individual and distinct enough to have their own identities, yet they do sometimes seem to hint at themes from other tracks. There's also a great jazz piano piece (track 17) that sounds like an old piano bar rag.
There are a couple of tracks that make use of electronic instruments, but not many. One is "Touch," which uses synthesizers to create a completely different sound from the other tracks. They even have a "theramin" setting to make it sound like those old 1950's science fiction movies. Track 25, "Freedom," is probably the most "modern" of all the pieces on this CD. It starts off as a rollicking saxophone jazz piece, and soon turns into a very energetic, electric guitar infused high-energy composition punctuated by a big brass sound.
THE BIG O ORIGINAL SOUND SCORE succeeds in mixing a variety of musical genres, including classical, jazz, blues, and "sci-fi movie music" in such a way to create an entertaining musical setting for the series. The differences in the styles highlight the complexity of the show and the different moods and situations it encompasses.
The only vocals on this CD are the TV-size (read "short" versions of the opening and ending themes. Since they were reviewed earlier, I won't say anything else about them other than that they're here and they're shorter than on the CD single.
The score makes excellent use of the range of a full orchestra. As a result, the music seems much more expressive than other anime scores of late. It doesn't just complement the show. It becomes an active, vital part of it. The tension is more palpable, the sadness more touching, and the action more rousing because the score adds to the atmosphere.
If you like good soundtracks, buy this CD. It deserves to be listened to.
 楼主| 发表于 2004-2-1 21:51:50 | 显示全部楼层
Big O Original Sound Score Review

The Big O Original Sound Score (Music from Season One)

Track List:

1) The Stoning, 1:42
2) Big-O! TV Edit, 1:11
3) Stand A Chance, 2:09
4) Name of God, 1:46
5) The Storm, 1:20
6) Spirit, 1:42
7) Servant, 1:20
8) Apologize, 2:03
9) Apparel, 1:13
10) The Great, 1:46
11) Apostle, 2:26
12) False, 1:26
13) Sleep My Dear, 2:15
14) Sure Promise, 1:58
15) Touch, 1:17
16) Weep For, 1:25
17) Nature, 1:41
18) The Words, 1:32
19) Run Down, 0:38
20) Tears, 1:15
21) The Process, 1:09
22) Sin, 1:32
23) A Vision, 1:17
24) Procrastination, 1:02
25) Freedom, 1:40
26) The Holy, 2:08
27) Evolution, 1:23
28) Eternal Life, 0:45
29) And Forever...TV Edit, 1:27

Overview
The soundtrack to The Big O breaks down into three types of music: orchestral, jazz ensemble and electronic/synthesized music, with the largest amount of music being in the first two genres. As you can probably tell from above, there's a reason that they fit twenty-nine tracks on this CD. Not a single one of them clocks above 3:00'.
This leads me to my biggest, and only, gripe about the soundtrack: The tracks are too darn short. Some of the more techno-based ones really get clipping along and then just wrap right up and end. It's rather frustrating as a solitary listener. In the show, even when the music is front and center, it's still serving as background to the visual images on screen, and well it should be in a visual medium. The music is supposed to compliment the screen action. Without the visual stimulation, you discover just how miniature these pieces really are.
In the context of The Big O, however--which is, in and of itself, a patchwork of homages, tributes and genres--scoring the music in this way actually makes a tremendous amount of sense. The music is there to further enhance the mood of the scene and add layers to the action. Viewers have probably noticed that the use of sound in The Big O is expertly done. There is no need for a constant soundtrack, when silence or sound effects will do the trick.
That being said, the music itself is absolutely excellent. The orchestra used is a full symphony orchestra, with all the colors and timbres of sound that such a force entails. The music in this series is full, rich and expansive. The composer uses all the resources at his fingertips to create ambience and mood, drawing on such diverse composers and styles as W. A. Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven, George Gershwin, Phillip Glass and John Williams (who owes much to Gustav Holst, Edward Elgar and Ralph Vaughan Williams); jazz, bebop, Classical symphony, rock, pop and minimalism. This is NYC, after all. Fusion is the name of the game.

In A Nutshell: If you like a strong, unifying melodic theme, flashy brass and firecracker-length tracks, buy the CD. Please make sure it is not a bootleg. The genuine article will cost you about $30, not including shipping. A-

Individual Track Reviews
1) The Stoning: The soundtrack kicks off by harking back to Classical roots. This track could easily be an excerpt from one of Mozart's overtures or symphonies and I'm still not entirely convinced that it isn't. Full string section in minor with slightly heavy brass and drums serving as accents. Winds join midway through on the syncopated string rhythm (hemiola) and everyone digs in their bows in the last few measures for a strong ending. This is featured in the first two episode title cards: "Cast in the name..." and Big O's duel with Big Mummy in Act XII.

这首音轨源自古典音乐。此旋律摘录自子莫扎特的序曲或交响乐。。小调上完整的弦乐器部分,重音由少量的大铜管和鼓担任。中间部分加入了管乐器来切分弦乐器的节奏。最后由强有力的几个音符终结。
这段音乐EP01,02开头浇铸画面使用
12话,和最后几话使用了完整版。

2) Big-O TV Edit: This is the series' theme song, which runs over the opening credits. I'm starting to agree more and more with the idea that it sounds like Queen. Very catchy and as an added bonus, the bass sounds really full over headphones. Oh yeah, Big O! Big O! Big O! This gets stuck in your head like nobody's business. Watch out for the volume on the downbeat, it'll blow your ears out.

3) Stand A Chance: The first of the two "Battle Music" tracks, commonly used in longer mech fights. Driving techno beat under brass and drums, which moves to a gorgeous minor string melody, later reiterated by the full orchestra. Strong French horn rips throughout. One of my personal favorite tracks. This is one of the few pieces of music out there that makes the combination of orchestra and electronic music not sound totally ridiculous. For those of you keeping score at home, this is the first track in which "Paradigm City/Roger's Theme" appears. The main string melody will be expanded, contracted and inverted in several other tracks to unify the soundtrack as a musical whole. Props to the composer for paying attention in composition class.

这是两首战斗主题音乐中的第一首,常用于较长的机械战斗。
由电子节奏下的铜管和鼓演奏开始,发展到一个壮丽的弦乐小调,然后由整个管弦乐队反复奏出。
法国号自始至终使用。我最喜欢的音轨之一
这是少数几个出色使用了电子乐和管弦乐相结合的音乐之一。
主旋律会扩展,浓缩,或反转至几个其他的BGM……
作曲者对音乐类型的处理值得称赞

4) Name of God: This track is probably more commonly recognized in its choral version--it's the hymn tune the congregation sings in "Winter Night Phantom" and I believe it also occurs when there is strong religious imagery. While the choral version does not unfortunately appear on this CD, the instrumental version is no slouch. Melody begins in the cellos, under accenting upper strings with a lovely oboe countermelody that leads into the violins and violas' restatement of the opening cello tune. The brass are a little too heavy-handed in my opinion here; they tend to overpower the lead strings. This track has a Beethovian or Verdian grandeur to it, which lends the tune a strong, operatic feel. You can almost hear the curtain crashing down on the final chord.

5) The Storm: The first of the purely electronic tracks. A pulsing bass figure is overlaid with accents on a skin drum, probably electronic bongos or some such. Synthesized strings shimmer in and out to give a sense of foreboding. I want to say that this track plays while Roger is sneaking about under the Old Man's house in "Electric City," but I'm not positive. This music is fairly common in the series when Roger is sticking his nose into places where it's likely to get snapped off.

6) Spirit: This track rules for the simple fact that the melody starts out all the way down in the string bass section. And those players dig in. You can almost hear the bowstrings breaking under the force. Harp figures lead into the main melody in the violins, which builds up to a slight climax. Horns and trombones then play an oscillating rhythm, leading into a restatement of the theme by the basses, which they give back to the violins. Winds, xylophone and trumpets build the tune up to an eardrum-blasting final chord. It's the musical equivalent of a giant cliffhanger. I remember hearing this in the series, I just can't think of where. It might be the confrontation with Schwarzwald in Act IV.

7) Servant: Time to lay some funk on this track. I can only assume that this is Norman's theme, given the title. And dang. Wha-wha guitar, synthesized organ, cup-muted trumpets and trombone melody make you wanna go pimpin' in yo' Cadillac. Play that funky music, white boy. This tracks sounds like it came off the Shaft soundtrack.

8) Apologize: The first of the variations on "Paradigm City/Roger's Theme" and the first of three piano solos. Subtle string bass adds some richness to the sound. Either the piano has been amplified or this was recorded in a very live acoustical space because the sound just bleeds together in a wonderful jazzy haze. This melody is often heard played by the saxophone at the very beginning of episodes, most obviously in the opening of Act I. The little "blue" notes from the pianist make it sound rather smooth and sexy. Rather like Roger himself.

Paradigm City/Roger 主题的第一个变奏,也是三个钢琴独奏之一。
String bass微妙的加入使得音色更饱满。
钢琴是被扩音或是在一个吸音室现场录音,因为旋律像是在一个非常棒的爵士风格的朦胧中流淌。
这个旋律一开始几话也常常由萨克斯管演奏,
钢琴演奏加入的一点点“blue”(布鲁斯风格,忧郁的)音节让它听上去更流畅,性感,就像罗杰一样~~^^

9) Apparel: Lurching brass, xylophone and flutes, for the first clear time, make this track sound like it's stumbling around. Great big glissandos from the trombones add to the silliness. Another track that I honestly don't know where it appears. I rather like it. I think of it as a musical personification of Dorothy's opinion of Roger's fashion sense.

10) The Great: Here comes Dorothy 1! Ponderous heavy bass and drums, cymbals and open fifths in the strings give this an almost primitive sound. You can actually hear the mech's footsteps in this piece beating in the percussion section. This track is usually followed by either of the "Battle Themes."

11) Apostle: Another piano solo/string bass duet. The piano is much fuller sounding due to chords in the left hand accompanying the reflective right hand melody. Roger's thinking about something. This is the longest track on the CD and it still floats right by. Another personal favorite.
另一个钢琴独奏/String Bass二重奏。
钢琴由于左手部的伴奏映射出右手部的旋律,音色更饱满。
“罗杰思考着什么。”
这是OST1中最长的一首,也是个人最喜欢的音乐之一

12) False: The "The-Plot-Thickens" track. French horn melody over pedantic strings and triplet figures. This usually plays when something bad is about to happen. And it usually does.

13) Sleep My Dear: The second variation of "Roger's Theme." Only the right hand of the piano plays the melody up an octave, over slowly moving synth chords. This gives the music a sense of stability and stasis that the piano hovers over like a lullaby.

14) Sure Promise: The second "Battle Theme" is a major, march-like affair that owes much to John Williams. Snare drums and fanfare brass, with strings coming in on the second half of the phrase. This track makes you want to shout "Showtime!" at random passersby. The absolute coolest thing on here happens twenty seconds from the end, when the conductor gets so excited, he shouts, "Go! Go!" to the orchestra to make them drive harder to the final cadence. This tickles musicians like myself pink.

第二个战斗主题音乐,大调,进行曲风格。(归功于John Williams?!。。)。
由小鼓和小号奏出响弦,弦乐器出现在每个乐句的后半部,
这段BGM会让你想大声叫出“SHOWTIME”^^
这里最酷的是,结尾前20秒的时候,当指挥非常兴奋,对整个乐队喊出“Go!Go!”来让他们在最终奏出更强音。这招能使音乐家得到满足^^

15) Touch: Another purely electronic track that plays when Roger is first checking out the Old Man's house in Act III, before he takes a shotgun butt to the head. This starts out sounding like the theme from "Psycho" and then goes whole hog into 1950's B-movie silliness. It's actually grown on me, especially the snappy piano scales.

16) Weep For: The Big O does Phillip Glass. Eerie-sounding music box, overlaid with wind blowing and choral "ahs." I absolutely adore this track. It appears in the first Act when Roger and Dorothy check out Soldano's factory.

17) Nature: Dorothy plays the blues from Act III. Electronic honky-tonk piano. Mm-hm, play it, girl.

18) The Words: A "Chase Scene" track. The harpsichord plays a repeating rhythmic figure (ostinato) under punched brass chords. The best part of this track is when the trap set kicks in on a fast swing beat, complete with walking bass line and alto sax improvised solo. Overdrive guitar takes the solo to the end. Why can't these things be longer?!

19) Run Down: Roger's least favorite piece of music. This is Dorothy's official piano solo wake-up call. This sounds like the Rondo third movement of a piano sonata, maybe Mozart again. The pianist definitely sounds like he/she knows how to play. (Unfortunate side note: The piano solo that Dorothy and Instro work on is not on this CD. This only confirms my suspicions that said piece is a Chopin sonata or prelude.)

20) Tears: "Roger's Theme" gets inverted with a harmonica as the melody instrument. I believe this appears at the end of "Winter Night Phantom" and during the flashbacks in "Beck Comes Back." The most depressing track on the CD.

21) The Process: I swear this was stolen from the OST for Final Fantasy VIII. It sounds a lot like the music from Deling City. Pizzicato synth basses lead into a slow swing guitar melody. Hi-hat cymbal played with brushes adds a great feeling. This comes straight out of film noir. Cool, man.

22) Sin: Lifted in it's entirety from Holst's "The Planets," this is the second movement: Mars, The Bringer of War. Relentless snare drum ostinato under an anxious-sounding melody in the strings and brass. If you're going to steal, steal from the best. Imitation is the finest form of flattery, after all.

23) A Vision: The other funk track. This one moves a bit more and sounds a lot like the band Chicago in their jazz fusion days. The trumpets absolutely wail at the end.

24) Procrastination: This is playing in the background of Act II when Roger is explaining the dress code in the Smith household for Dorothy's benefit. Hilarious trombone glissandos and what I swear is an English horn, a very unusual choice, playing the sassy lead-in melody. This track makes me laugh without fail. The pizzicato string scales are an especially nice touch. The musical theme for "Dorothy makes Roger look like a total moron."

25) Freedom: Quite possibly my favorite track on here. This rock-infused brass fest demands to be played as loud as possible with the bass cranked up. Kicktastic overdrive guitar solo in the middle. Another track that I wish lasted longer, but it does end on a great full-ensemble "stinger" with everyone sliding off the last note in a unison glissando. I believe this is when the Big O is on its' way to Roger.

26) The Holy: The Holy-friggin-crap-this-rules track. "Stand A Chance" as a DANCE REMIX. One second shorter than the original with a lot more synth overlays. Shake that thing, baby.
Stand A Chance 的摇滚混音版……带上了更多的电声伴奏

27) Evolution: The last of the "Roger's Theme" piano solos and the shortest. Left hand arpeggios under the right hand melody, which is less decorated with jazz turns and slightly happier sounding. This track is sort of a combination of Variations 1 & II. (Tracks 8 and 13)

28) Eternal Life: This track is featured somewhere towards the end of my favorite episode, "A Legacy of Amadeus." It's only forty-five seconds long. Sigh. Soprano sax makes this track wander dangerously close to sounding like Kenny G, but the music manages to avoid it. The melody really sounds like it wants to be a vocal piece. Short and sweet.

29) And Forever: The same version that plays over the ending credits. If I fully analyzed the melody line, it may be another permutation of "Roger's Theme," now turned into a love theme for Dorothy and Roger. Awww...for cute.

If You Like This Music...
My recommendations if you like the music from The Big O:
Orchestral: Any of Mozart or Beethoven's symphonies. You can't go wrong with the masters. Gustav Holst's "The Planets" as mentioned above. Ralph Vaughan Williams "Tallis Fantasia", any of his orchestral works, really anything by Vaughan Williams. He's one of my favorite composers.

Jazz: George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue." Make sure it's the fully orchestrated version. Duke Ellington's "Black, Brown and Beige." Anything by Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie or Wynton Marsalis. If you want to pick things up from the swing craze from the late 90's, try Royal Crown Revue. They were the band featured in the movie The Mask with Jim Carrey. Their tune "Hey, Pachuco!" is from the huge dance number in the club. The soundtrack to the movie "Chicago" or the original musical itself are also good choices. I'd love to do a Big O music video to "All That Jazz."

Electronic: Philip Glass's Einstein on the Beach. Watch out, it's a five hour-long opera. Those of you who think that FLCL is out there haven't heard anything until you've listened to the minimalist composers. Anything by Steve Reich is also good-- he's a genius. John Adams's opera Nixon in China is fabulous as is The Death of Klinghoffer.

Sarah Stankiewicz holds a Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance from the Oberlin Conservatory of Music. She will be starting her Master of Music in the fall at Indiana University. Her current favorite series are Trigun, followed by The Big O and Cowboy Bebop, which are dueling to the death for second place. She first discovered anime four years ago with Gundam Wing. Her taste has since improved. She can be found lurking about ToonZone’s Adult Swim forum under the moniker Bladesong 26.
 楼主| 发表于 2004-2-2 00:30:34 | 显示全部楼层

—by Charles McCarter
Sunrise's latest big show is THE BIG O, something of a hybrid between BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES and GIANT ROBO. It got a suave, retro style that's different from most everything out there. So it should come as no surprise that the opening and ending themes are unique among anime songs as well.
The opening song is the obviously-named "Big O!" Beginning a quiet piano introduction, the show swings into a frantic bass line, and quickly explodes into a lot of synthesizer melodies. But there's also an electric guitar in the mix as well. The song sounds something like Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" with the guitars, the unusual harmonies, and the varying tempos of the song. It's a bit over the top, especially when you factor in all the sound effects they've included—sirens, screeching tires and the like. While the song works well as an introduction to the show, on its own, it's a little on the cheesy side, especially with the constant choir-like repetitions of "Big O! Big O Big O Big O!" It's fun, but it's not recommended for extensive repeated listening or you will find it stuck in your head, like the old campy BATMAN TV song.
The ending is a totally different change of pace. While the opening was all flash and brilliance, the ending is a slow love ballad. A duet even. Unfortunately though, it sounds a lot like those duets that seemed to litter Hollywood film soundtracks in the late 1980s and early 1990s. While the song itself is very solid, with good vocals and lyrics in correct English, its sentimentality is a little over the top, and I couldn't help myself from feeling that the next song to pop up on the player would be "Somewhere Out There." That's not to say that I didn't like it—on the contrary. But those who have had their fill of love ballads will probably find this to be yet another in a long list of songs that they could really do without.
The remaining two tracks are the obligatory karaoke tracks, although I find myself smiling at the thought of anyone actually trying to sing "Big O!" in a karaoke bar—or anywhere else, for that matter. It's just not that kind of song. Still, it's fun to listen to and the karaoke tracks are a nice bonus for buying the CD single.
This CD single will doubtless appeal to those who've seen THE BIG O and can appreciate how the music helps to enhance the mood of this unique series. However those who haven't seen it will probably not be particularly impressed by what they find here.
发表于 2004-2-2 00:33:24 | 显示全部楼层
Shirley 问我喜欢哪首……比较难回答,我听OST主要分两种方式,一种是单独听其中喜欢的某首歌,比如planet-es,基本只听其中一两首,但BigO习惯整个听,虽然偏爱比较柔和的曲子,但单独听又觉得少点什么……实际上,BigO的曲目安排也的确有始有终,有起有伏,连贯性很强。(大多OST可能都如此,但bigO这种感觉更强一些)

音乐我是外行,只说感觉。
 楼主| 发表于 2004-2-2 09:16:54 | 显示全部楼层
个人最喜欢
APOLOGIZE
APOSTLE
SURE PROMISE..

我要去买OST……以后用HIFI设备听那些才有感觉啊~~买定了……
发表于 2004-2-19 14:01:28 | 显示全部楼层
多谢连OST也放出来,现在我都成BIG O的FANS了
发表于 2004-3-6 11:09:39 | 显示全部楼层
发表于 2004-3-22 23:14:44 | 显示全部楼层
很想欣赏一下,但是OST和ED的连接都无效,很可惜啊
能不能再放出啊?
多谢!
发表于 2004-7-29 21:02:42 | 显示全部楼层
强烈要求再次放出FTP或ED下载:p
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|茼蒿

GMT+8, 2024-4-19 10:26 PM , Processed in 0.019458 second(s), 7 queries , eAccelerator On.